Thursday 7 October 2010

sew cool




Selfridge's Oxford Street store is touting it's new shoe department claiming it's the biggest in the country, so of course I had to check it out.  It's on the second floor and has many salon type rooms filled with shoes, and very democratic in their offerings - very affordable to obscenely expensive.  It's like no other shoe department.  If you're looking for shoes (especially boots right now) I'd start here.  Tried on some cool Belstaff boots, but none in the right size, so I left empty handed. With a 7-1/2 foot I've got to shop at the beginning of the season.  No, they don't sell these sewing machine heels, but if they did I'd buy em, even if they weren't my size.


workroom on Savile Row


Been reading Bespoke - Savile Row Ripped And Smoothed, by Richard Anderson, an entertaining look into the Savile Row workroom of The Huntsman where Richard apprenticed (he now has his own bespoke company). Found myself near Savile Row so just had to cruise the street which is just a few short blocks long. Elegant shops line the Row and if you look down to the basement levels you can see the tailors at work. Most offer beautifully tailored suits, jackets, coats and all that you'd expect in a haberdashery.  Henry looks like he's making things for the Palace. This is all very exciting and I'm looking at menswear with a new eye.  

This coming Monday it's Savile Row Field Day when they close off the street so sheep can graze on laid down turf.  Farmers and sheep dogs will also be there for the event to launch the Campaign for Wool. Can't wait!  Pics to come.



it's jab season!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I am your fist follower!! I am very impressed that you are blogging.
    Miss you

    ReplyDelete